When looking at a portrait from Malik Roberts, it’s almost impossible not to walk away feeling something. The Brooklyn based painter and multimedia artist has a knack for taking popular, often controversial images, deconstructing them and creating something unlike anything else on the scene right now. His work seems to draw inspiration from a number of icons, from the Pop Art themes of Warhol to the Neo Expressionism of Basquiat. Fresh off of his first solo show, we caught up to him to hear more about his story.
1. We love how you explore multiple themes and styles in one piece. How would you describe your mindset when creating?
2. The favorite among the Grittyvibes’ team was undoubtedly Hoop Dreams. What would you say your personal favorite is & why?
3. What’s one piece from another artist that you look at & say “Damn, I wish I made that”?
4. What would you say is your biggest success so far?
5. What’s next for Malik Roberts?
Painting, painting and more painting.