This year’s New York high school basketball scene is LOAAADED with interesting storylines, new talent and returning stars. With the season right around the corner, we thought we’d get ahead of the game and drop some of the players and situations we’re looking forward to seeing this year. Hit our email on who we should look out for : Grittyvibes@gmail.com
South Shore is for REAL
Last year, South Shore had the look of a program that had plenty of talent, but also some growing up to do. After taking an early look at the Vikings at Hype City though, they look locked and loaded to make a serious run for the chip this year. While Femi Odukale stands out for them as a pure scorer, their whole squad is athletic and unselfish. With Kareem May running the show and setting up studs like Sekou Sylla and Kadary Richmond this squad will be DANGEROUS this winter.
Jefferson is young but ready
It’s not often a team ran by mostly underclassmen is considered a top dog in Brooklyn AA, but Jefferson is different. The Orange wave are here to stay, with Sophomore Marcus Burnett leading the way. Freshman PG Jaquan Carlos is fearless with the rock and JV call ups like Thomas Porter look ready for the lights. They edged South Shore out in Hype City and should hold their own all year.
Christ The King has been good, not great these past couple of years but with their latest additions, they are right back in contention for New York dominance. Where do we start? The team brings back quality players like their floor general Tyson Walker and knock down shooter Jaylen Davis. Nationally ranked big man Kofi Cockburn holds down the paint like few others in the country and is now joined by the one of the top incoming freshmen in the NATION: Moussa Cisse. They don’t stop at this insaaane front court though. They’ve also added a killer in Quran McPherson and have youngings like Ryan Myers and Sterling Jones just waiting for their moment.
Molloy ain’t no joke
While Christ the King added some nice pieces, let’s not forget what they have cooking in Briarwood either. What if I told you that the number one PG in the nation along with the top center in their respective classes was on the same team? Cole Anthony has been killing competition on the EYBL circuit this summer and packed gyms will enjoy the treat of seeing him play up close and personal once again this winter. Pair him with the rapidly improving Moses Brown and you have yourself a scary site. Right in the mix of all of this is Khalid Moore, a lanky do it all wing with high major D-1 offers falling out of his pockets. CK/Molloy games will be iconic this year, to say the least.
Gritty Vibes NYC basketball wish list:
1. We wanna see underrated players like Glen Anderson (Brooklyn Collegiate), Aquarn Butler (Paul Robeson), and Dwight reed (QHST) have breakout years.
2. We wanna see the young bloods at St Mary’s: TJ Morris and Tymel Stevenson. If you don’t know of this duo yet, you WILL. The newly minted members of Jellyfam are certified killers.
3. We wanna see Bryce Willis take over. Willis is one of the most skilled players in New York and we’re ready for him to put it all together and make Iona prep a contender.
4. We wanna see the guards of Cardozo and Lincoln. The backcourt duos of Marcus Hammond & Dejavaughn Utley (Cardozo) along with John Wilson & Jasiah Lewis will lead the charge for these two legendary programs.
5. We want everyone to have a healthy season!
Who should we feature this season? Hit us at grittyvibes@gmail.